Jun 29, 2005

Next to Godliness

No matter how good you think Ben and Jerry's ice cream is, it is not "homemade." And neither are the vast majority of products you can find in the supermarket, as everyone knows. The word did well with focus groups and that's why it is slapped liberally on food labels. One of the great things about web commerce is that you can actually buy homemade stuff because the artisan can market the product directly. To just randomly choose one of these entrepreneurs, oh, hmmm, let me see . . . let's take my brother Dan's Southside Soap. He really makes this in his home and has done so for years. Big, textured herbal-smelling chunks of real honest soap that clean ya real good, I can testify. He has also made ale, beer, mead, dog food, yogurt, lamps out of PVC pipe, and curtain rods out of copper tubing, thankfully none of which are offered for sale on the web. The mead is fermenting on his kitchen counter now, in an enormous bottle, to be consumed by knights and ladies in the mid distant future.

So if you're dirty, or if you're clean but running out of soap, or need to restock your gift supplies with unique but inexpensive consumables, then what's not to like about my brother's soap, eh?

2 comments:

jo(e) said...

I always laugh when I see the label "homemade" on something. I think to myself: "When did they come to my home and make this? Wouldn't I have noticed them in my kitchen?" It just seems so silly.

Scrivener said...

I'd probably buy some of your brother's soap if my aunt and uncle didn't make homemade soap too. They gave us a big basket full about a year ago, just as they were starting to try to market the stuff at some craft fairs or something, and we'll never use all of that. But if anyone asks me where to go to get good homemade soap online, I'll bounce 'em your brother's way.