May 7, 2007

Thoughts While Mulching

Jack helped me mulch for a while Saturday and Sunday, and we had lots of opportunity for conversation.

L: Jack, some day you'll be stronger than me.
J: And taller!
L: And I'll say "Jack, could you lift this for me?" "Jack could you please open this for me?"
J: And I'll say yes, because I could never say no to that!

I'm going to hold him to that one.

A few minutes later:
J: Mommy, you know what Luke said?
L: What?
J: He said that Joe said that he learned on the Discovery Channel that the ocean isn't made of water, it's made of horseshoe crab blood.
L: Really. Does Joe believe that?
J: Yes.
L: Do you and Luke believe that?
J: No.
L: Do you know what I think happened? I think he misheard, or heard part of an explanation and didn't hear the rest, or something.
J: I think their blood is blue, so maybe that's how he got confused.

I now wish I had said, "Tell Joe that the horseshoe crab's blood contains a unique clotting agent that the pharmaceutical industry uses to test intravenous drugs for bacteria. No IV drug reaches your hospital pharmacy without its horseshoe crab test. So if you or someone you love has ever been hospitalized, you owe a lot to the horseshoe crab." Since the internet hasn't been installed in my brain quite yet, I didn't say that. But I had no idea horseshoe crab blood was so valuable. Thank you, University of Delaware Sea Grant College Program.

6 comments:

Domestic Goddess said...

You'd think I would know that, with a husband in the pharm industry. Sheesh. We all need the tubes in our heads. Wouldn't that be fun? You could Google in your own noggin.

Jennifer said...

You know, I think Joe might still benefit from such information--I know I did!

Liz Miller said...

That is so cool.

BOSSY said...

Gee, when Bossy mulches she thinks about the large spiders.

Sugarmama said...

Aw, I'd like to have just one boy before I stop reproducing altogether. There's something so appealing about having a strapping, adoring son someday to ask for help with lifting things or digging holes for plants.

Sheri Reed said...

I am new here. Can't remember how I found you now. Anyway, just wanted to say this is a lovely post. I am impressed that you were mulching because I think I have forgotten what mulching is, but it sounds gardeny and divine.