Sep 11, 2006

Me on My Trike

Let me tell you about the new profile picture. My Nana took it. It's one of about two hundred pictures of my brothers and me that she took when we were small, and developed herself in her darkened kitchen. The vast majority of the pictures are of me, because I was born first, and was the only girl. And it was more culturally acceptable to dress girls up in silly frills.

That's our yard, at Ft. Sill, in Lawton, Oklahoma. My father was stationed there in the early 1960s because that was the U.S. Army's training base for field artillery. I'm pretty sure the car behind me is Nana and Papa's Oldsmobile, a Delta 88. I think it was a 1958 vintage, like me. Always, Nana picked green cars. You know the shade, right? Nana Green. The tricycle? Red. Of course.

John says I look just the same as I did then. My sartorial choices are a bit different, these days, however.

3 comments:

Sugarmama said...

That's such a beautiful picture! It's so nice to have such photos still around, don't you think? I've somehow become the keeper of the family treasures in the last couple of years and I'm so happy to do it. My husband has begun scanning all our old, fragile photos and making them available digitally to other family members, too. Just in case they don't make it too much longer.

jo(e) said...

I love it.

Scrivener said...

I'm so happy you're back to posting more regularly. I so enjoy this space. Have I told you that?

I have almost no pictures at all from my childhood. It didn't bother me much when I was a young adult, but now that I have my own kids, I sometimes wish I could show them pictures of me as a kid.